Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Heather Ross Mendocino Free-Style Stars

I've had a small stash of Heather Ross's Mendocino that I've been hoarding saving for a while now. I've added little pieces of it to some projects here and there but never much of it. I organized my stash a little this weekend and I pulled it out to finally make a quilt with it. I only had a 5.5" x WOF of the Swimming Sisters. I wanted to use that as the focal point. I love this print. So I cut my strip into 5.5" squares and just start making some stars with the rest of the Mendocino I had and a few other prints that coordinated with it. 


I could only get 8 Swimming Sisters squares from the piece I had. So I added a square of FMM blue seeds. I then laid out my blocks. Arranging....


 and arranging....


 and arranging some more....and then my oldest girl walks in and says why don't you put the blue seeds in the middle? I told her I tried it but it didn't look right. But I wanted it there too because I didn't really like how it looked in the corner. This was going to mean that I had to switch the centers on some of the blocks because I didn't want blocks with the same background fabric near each other, etc.. you know the deal. So I laid pieces of fabric on the center of the blocks that I wanted to switch to see if i liked it. And I did. So...


I took the seeds out of the orange octopi block and took the swimming sisters out of the posies block and switched them. Now, I might have just made new blocks if I had enough fabric, but I didn't.


I was not going to take the whole block apart so I only picked out enough stitches to get the center out. I used pins (a rarity) and sewed the centers in place on the sides.


Center block...half sewn in.


Back view...then I pressed everything and sewed the other seams back together.


and then rearranged....


and rearranged....


I think this is the layout I'm going with... maybe...



Fresh Poppy Design


I'm linking up with Quiltstory today for Fabric Tuesday! Check out all the other linker uppers and see what's shakin' in blogland!

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

One of my all time favorite fabric lines! And your daughter has a great eye too!

Jennifer

Toni said...

This is looking really great so far! And how fun that your daughter helps with the design?! Can't wait to see this finished!

Unknown said...

SO much rearragin'!! It looks great though, good job for sticking at it!

Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts said...

This is perfect! What a lovely top this will be!

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

This is looking absolutely perfect, it will be worth it!!

Pat Merkle said...

Love your stars! I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Jacque. said...

I've done that, too...just picked apart parts of the quilt to move things around. Looks really good, Erin! Another winner!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

It's looking great. It's gong to be a beautiful quilt :)

LisaAnn said...

I'm so loving all the stars I'm seeing around! Your quilt with this fabric is wonderful!

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

Yes! Perfect. Totally worth all the futzing.

randi--i have to say said...

oh, i do like this quilt! the layout looks great!

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...